lenny install: some problems with aptitude

Toni Mueller support-fai at oeko.net
Tue Aug 25 15:22:54 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, 25.08.2009 at 09:53:39 +0200, Toni Mueller <support-fai at oeko.net> wrote:
> 2. aptitude sometimes (?) fails to install a lot of packages, leaving a
> rather broken system behind, and sometimes even deletes (!!!) freshly
> installed packages despite the fact that there are no conflicts. This
> breaks eg. my scripts to install custom packages by checking code out
> of a revision control system, then compile it, breaks big time.
>
> Example:
>
> Writing extended state information...
> Reading task descriptions...
> ... lots of packages, then:
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   bacula-common{u} console-common{u} console-data{u} initramfs-tools{u}
>   kbd{u} klibc-utils{u} libklibc{u} libvolume-id0{u} mysql-client-5.0{u}
>   udev{u}

besides newly installed packages, I get the following errors in the
logs:

In software.log, after FAI failed to install the kernel and said
 "trying to recover":

Setting up perl-modules (5.10.0-19) ...
Setting up kbd (1.14.1-4) ...
Setting up perl (5.10.0-19) ...
Setting up console-common (0.7.80) ...
Looking for keymap to install:
NONE
Setting up libnet-daemon-perl (0.38-1.1) ...
Setting up libplrpc-perl (0.2017-1.1) ...
Setting up libdbi-perl (1.605-1) ...
Setting up libdbd-mysql-perl (4.007-1) ...
Setting up mysql-client-5.0 (5.0.51a-24+lenny1) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Reading extended state information...
Initializing package states...
Writing extended state information...
Reading task descriptions...
ERROR: 65280 65280

I guess that this is fallout from the kernel problem?

... lots of more stuff, then:

Reading extended state information...
Initializing package states...
Reading task descriptions...
Get:1 http://192.168.1.8 lenny/main postfix 2.5.5-1.1 [1301kB]
Get:2 http://192.168.1.8 lenny/main postfix-ldap 2.5.5-1.1 [49.4kB]
Get:3 http://192.168.1.8 lenny/main postfix-pcre 2.5.5-1.1 [43.7kB]
Fetched 1394kB in 0s (1740kB/s)
install_packages: executing chroot /target apt-get clean
install_packages: executing chroot /target dpkg --unpack --recursive /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/; rm /var/cache/apt/archives/partial//*.deb
dpkg: searched, but found no packages (files matching *.deb)
rm: cannot remove `/var/cache/apt/archives/partial//*.deb': No such file or directory
ERROR: 256 256
ERROR: chroot /target dpkg --unpack --recursive /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/; rm /var/cache/apt/archives/partial//*.deb return code 1
install_packages: executing chroot /target dpkg --configure --pending
install_packages: executing chroot /target dpkg -C
install_packages: executing chroot /target apt-get clean
2 errors during executing of commands

This I don't understand. A directory "/var/cache/apt/archives/partial"
should exist in *all* Debian installations, no matter what. Why dpkg
should unpack stuff in .../partial, though, is highly unclear to me - I
thought that things in there are broken by definition?

After that, in fai.log, there comes the output of executing
the scripts.

The error log has also this to say:

shell.log:grub-probe: error: Cannot open `/boot/grub/device.map'
shell.log:/usr/sbin/grub-install: line 374: [: =: unary operator expected
shell.log:chroot: cannot run command `/usr/sbin/update-grub': No such file or directory
shell.log:ERROR: postinst returned code 1
shell.log:GRUB/10-setup        FAILED with exit code 1.
shell.log:=====   shell: SERVER/08-configure-fail2ban   =====
shell.log:SERVER/08-configure-fail2ban OK.
shell.log:+ error=0
shell.log:+ trap error=1 ERR
shell.log:chroot: cannot run command `install-keymap': No such file or directory

Later on, I can see a grub installation on the file system, despite of
this.

Kind regards,
--Toni++