FAI-CD aborts after "mounting root filesystem"

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Thu Aug 13 12:19:27 CEST 2009

Sebastian Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:40:07 +0200
> Henning Sprang <henning at sprang.de> wrote:
>
>> So, what are you really doing?
>> Are you building a fai-cd on an Ubuntu system, to install an Ubuntu System?
>> Or is the system on which you create the fai-cd a Debian system?
>> Which version of FAI do you use?
>
> I'm trying to build a FAI-cd for Ubuntu jaunty on a Ubuntu jaunty system.
> Therefor I'm using the FAI package in the ubuntu repos which has version 3.2.4.
>
>>> Then I created a mirror with fai-mirror. What is suspicious there is,
>>> that fai-mirror first takes all my wanted packages definied in my
>>> configspace from the ubuntu-mirror but than says "taking packages from
>>> base.tgz" and leeches them from the debian mirror?
>> Strange.
>> Check if all mirrors in /etc/fai/* are really Ubuntu and no Debian mirrors.
>
> All mirrors in the apt files under /etc/fai are correct. The only place
> a debian reference exists, is in the /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf file:
> FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="lenny http://ftp.debian.org/debian"

Ah, that explains that the base.tgz and nfsroot will be Debian/Lenny.

> In the wiki-howto is written that has to be lenny there also if you want to build ubuntu. Is the wiki-articel incorrect in this part?

It could be that this is a solution to the problems with the
aufs/unionfs/livehelper (sorry, I don't remember exactly what the
problems were) problems that often made using Ubuntu as a FAI server
problematic.

An interesting idea to solve these problems ( that might also be
applicable to even run a FAI server on totally different, non-dpkg
distributions by only having a debootstrap alienated).

But then, these Wiki article is only about network install, and I doubt
it was tested with fai-cd.

You could try also changing the make-fai-nfsroot entry to be Ubuntu,
too, and see if that helps - I'm not sure.

> [...]
> also with removing the ip part in the kernel line I'm getting the behavior that fai-cd sends me to the busybox.

Sorry, I don't know at the moment and cannot look into it. Maybe
somebody else has an idea.

Henning

--
Henning Sprang