How to create a basic FAI CD

Amine SALHI amine.salhi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 16:51:50 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Henning Sprang <henning at sprang.de> wrote:

> Amine SALHI wrote:
> > Hi
> > I'm trying to create a FAI cd based on Debian Etch.
>
> oops, why you're trying to install something (and learn how to use FAI
> with something) that is so old? There's a new stable debian release
> since nearly a year.
>
> > here is an error from the  /tmp/fai/software.log after the installation
> > was finished
> >
> > couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
> > "linux-image-486"
> >
> > the same error from many other packages : grub, memtest86, rsync,
> > sysutils, ....
>
> Looks like either your mirror is broken, fai-mirror has some problems or
> the mirror from fai-mirror is not brought to the cd properly.

The mirror is not broken, i can do 'apt-install' from another machine
'apt-cache search' shows that the packages required by FAI are present on
the mirror

> Do you see any things that look problematic when running fai-mirror?

running fai-mirror tells :
/usr/bin/fai-mirror finished

There is no warnings, no errors

During the install process via CD, does FAI need to access the local mirror,
or it has all the needed packages on the CD ?
I'm just trying to do it with a default config.