ERROR: NFSROOT directory ... is mounted using nosuid or nodev

Peter Bittner peter.bittner at thalesgroup.com
Mon Aug 10 12:10:02 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have installed a faiserver using a CD (created with the .iso provided
by the FAI project) and I am now trying to set it up so that clients can
install over the network.

I have changed some minor things (such as the server's IP address,
hostname, fixed the contents of /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf as
pointed out in the mailing list somewhere - TFTPROOT was missing, edited
make-fai-nfsroot.conf and fai.conf) and then I tried to run `fai-setup
-v`, but I always get the following error:

  ERROR: NFSROOT directory /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir is
mounted using nosuid or nodev. Aborting

I do get the same error when I execute make-fai-nfsroot.conf only.

  Creating FAI nfsroot in /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir.
  By default it needs more than 390 MBytes disk space.
  This may take a long time.
  ERROR: NFSROOT directory /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir is
mounted using nosuid or nodev. Aborting
  Log file written to /var/log/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf

The logfiles don't contain any additional info that helps me further.

Any hints what the problem may be and how I can fix this issue?
Cheers, Peter