debian bug 453294 this fix breaks upgrade etch -> lenny

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Tue Apr 7 14:56:18 CEST 2009

Hi Rudy,

Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> With the newer initramfs-tools package in Lenny we couldn't install our
> Xen virtual machines anymore.

How exactly are you installing them, and what types of VM?
Are you doing paravirtual VM's via xen's nfsroot booting method?

Did you read the wiki about xen installation?
The things there should help.

It may be important to know for you that the order of boot options given
to the kernel is important.
If it's not right, the boot will fail and the errors are not really
pointing you to the solution. (I was there for a while, until I found
the solution by accident).

You could also install xen VM's on Lenny with xen-tools, integrating FAI
as a hook there - this is also documented in the wiki.

Henning