debian bug 453294 this fix breaks upgrade etch -> lenny

Rudy Gevaert rudy.gevaert at ugent.be
Tue Apr 7 12:13:45 CEST 2009

Hi Thomas and FAI list :)

We are using FAI too and experienced an upgrade problem due to this fix.

With the newer initramfs-tools package in Lenny we couldn't install
our Xen virtual machines anymore.

This was because we don't have any boot= parameter.  This was not
needed in FAI, or at least up till the version we are using (3.2.8).
Maybe it is needed in later FAI versions?  (I haven't had time to
upgrade...)

With the changed logic:
               /dev/nfs)
                         [ -z "${BOOT}" ] && BOOT=nfs
                         ;;

(the -z test was not there in etch)

$BOOT is never set to nfs because it is defined in the initramfs config file:
BOOT=nfs|local

Setting root=/dev/nfs on the cmdline doesn't have any effect because
BOOT=local in our case and because of the && test BOOT is never set to
nfs.

Setting BOOT=nfs in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.confconf lets us
only do netboots and is not what we want.  We only want to nfs boot
during installation of our xen machine.

I got my setup working again by giving boot=nfs to the boot option on
the command line.

I just wanted to let you know, and I hope you can give my any comments
on why boot=live or something is needed in later versions.

Thanks!

Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur  Direction ICT, Infrastructure dept.
Groep Systemen                     Systems group
Universiteit Gent                  Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be