Automating setup of disk_config files

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Mon Sep 22 16:33:01 CEST 2008

Thomas Lange wrote:
> IMO this makes no sense.

Everything that fits a user's needs makes sense ;)

That some things have some disadvantages, is another point, and it's
right what you mentioned below, and it's good to point a user on these,
so they might think about if what they think they need is really what's
best for them :)

Still, if he has this requirement, it is as it is...

> I hope that the next step is not that you like to generate the
> package_config files from an existing installation. This will also not
> fit into the FAI method of "plan our installation".

But this is only the way you can propose how FAI should be used - if
people want to use it in a different way, why not?

If there was a script that would generate a fai config from an installed
system, it would be great.
Even though it wouldn't have the advantages of FAI's class-system and
the flexibility and nice structure and so on, it still would be a tool
to easily backup a full system configuration, but with a much smaller
amount of data.

e.g., one could make an ftar file from /etc, generate the disk config,
and put all the packages in one package list.

It's not the structured and nice thing we use fai for and we think is
it's strength - but still be cool ;)

Henning