Automating setup of disk_config files

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Mon Sep 22 16:03:59 CEST 2008

Ryan Steele wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I was wondering if anybody has come up with, or if there exists, a
> method or script(s) to automate the creation of the config files in the
> disk_config/ directory.

What exactly do you want the auto-generation script to do, or how can an
auto-generation program know what kind of disk config you need?

 > I have many different classes I need to manage,
> and it's rather laborious to manually construct a disk_config/ file for
> each one.

You don't need a disk config file for each class, only for each
_different_ disk config you need - if all your system should have the
same disk setup, make a generic class for the disk config and specify
the more specific things(software install, etc.) with different classes.

 > I'm currently working on a script to automate the creation of
> this file, but before I head too far down that path, I want to make sure
> nothing already exists to serve this purpose.

As said above, it's not clear to me how such a program should work -
should it try to "guess" what type of disk config you want for each
system, should it generate random disk configs, or do you mean to create
a disk_config from an existing, running system?

Henning