FAI & Xen Reply

Kurt Larsen kurt at worldlingo.com
Thu Sep 4 20:41:27 CEST 2008

Michael Tautschnig wrote:
>> Michael,
>>
>> Thank you for your time.
>>
>> Yes,  I was trying to use FAI to set this up so that when the host
>> server is rebooted, a xen kernel is loaded.
>>
>> I can provide more information if needed, and thank you for your time.
>>
>> pkg's I would typically use manually to install a xen kernel.
>>
>> "linux-image-2.6.18-6-xen-686 xen-utils-3.2-1
>> xen-hypervisor-3.2-1-i386 xen-tools sysutils bridge-utils libc6-xen
>> iproute libterm-readline-gnu-perl openssh-server openssh-client ssmtp
>> bsd-mailx snmp snmpd ntp less rsync psmisc util-linux"
>>

> Ok, just to make sure I provide the proper level of feedback: Are you
really new
> to FAI, or is it just the Xen stuff that is new in your work with FAI?
>
> In principle, all you need is to adapt the package_config/* files to
contain
> those packages, although some tweaking of the grub configuration may be
required
> as well. Other than that, a Xen Dom0 is not really different from a
standard
> host. With DomUs, the story is a bit different, but this is then
documented (in
> parts at least) in the faiwiki.
>
> Best,
> Michael

Michael,

Yes,  I am really new to FAI, Xen and Debian as a matter of fact, but
I have had on the job, fly by the seat of your pants training. My
experience is with FreeBSD, or at least it was.

Um this is going to sound a little silly, but I set up a lab in the
office, away from our Colo servers for testing, and well it is working
now.

Dam sorry for waisting any of your time here, but thank you for your
help and assistance. I will just start to compare the differences
between the FAI installs on both servers..... Colo and the Office Lab
server.

Kind Regards,

Kurt Larsen