FAI & Xen Reply

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Sep 4 19:40:08 CEST 2008

> Michael,
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Yes,  I was trying to use FAI to set this up so that when the host
> server is rebooted, a xen kernel is loaded.
>
> I can provide more information if needed, and thank you for your time.
>
> pkg's I would typically use manually to install a xen kernel.
>
> "linux-image-2.6.18-6-xen-686 xen-utils-3.2-1
> xen-hypervisor-3.2-1-i386 xen-tools sysutils bridge-utils libc6-xen
> iproute libterm-readline-gnu-perl openssh-server openssh-client ssmtp
> bsd-mailx snmp snmpd ntp less rsync psmisc util-linux"

Ok, just to make sure I provide the proper level of feedback: Are you really new
to FAI, or is it just the Xen stuff that is new in your work with FAI?

In principle, all you need is to adapt the package_config/* files to contain
those packages, although some tweaking of the grub configuration may be required
as well. Other than that, a Xen Dom0 is not really different from a standard
host. With DomUs, the story is a bit different, but this is then documented (in
parts at least) in the faiwiki.

Best,