custom kernel from kernel.org

Christian Quast wildcart at tzi.org
Thu Oct 16 13:17:58 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have a debian etch server used as debian mirror and fai 'master'. The
fai-nfsroot is also debian etch. The installation 'targets' are debian etch
as well as ubuntu hardy.

The problem I am having is that some of the computers I need to install
use a
PCIe Sata-RAID controller which is not supported by the stock etch kernel
(2.6.18). Hence, during the installation the harddisks connected to the
controller are not recognised by the OS. However, the controller is
supported
by the newer kernels (>= 2.6.20).

So I tried to follow the instructions at [1] to build a custom kernel.
However, I am not really sure if these instructions apply to current fai
versions, missing directories and config file entries. I managed to get the
kernel into the nfsroot and added it to tftp as well. It started booting
but
the installation process failed shortly after reaching the fai 'screen'.
If I
remember correctly fai(?) complains about missing write permission on
lots of
files / directories.

Reading the thread 'regular kernel' posted a few days ago I figured this
might
be due to the incompatibility mentioned by Michael Tautschnig. So I
tried to
build my own kernel. I have tried building unionfs 2.x [2] as well aufs
[3].
When I apply either of these 'patches' to the stock kernel from
kernel.org (I
tried 2.6.26/27) I get an error during compilation.
    ERROR: "security_inode_permission" [fs/aufs/{aufs,unionfs}.ko]
undefined!

I couldn't find any helpful links searching the internet.

So my questions are:
What are the required steps to create a custom kernel > 2.6.20 used
during the
installation?

Should I build a new nfs root wich is based on something other than debian
etch?

Is there a way to use fai without the need to use unionfs (etc...)?

regards
   Chriss