FAI 3.2.10 - Etch.

Fortier,Vincent [Montreal] Vincent.Fortier1 at EC.GC.CA
Wed Oct 15 17:08:27 CEST 2008

Got it!  Actually it was more obvious than expected.  It's mainly du to the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf file.

My exports are set to read-only mode therefore it is impossible to to write from the client on the NFS share provided by the server... Hence, LVM cannot create it's cache and lock files.  Changing theses on my nfsroot fixed it:

devices {
	cache = "/tmp/lvm/.cache"

global {
	locking_dir = "/tmp/lvm/lock"

Using /tmp makes it writable to LVM and solves the problem right away!

Note that while testing at some point I had to reset the drive using:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

Now the proper fix would be that theses parameters gets changed automatically while creating the nfsroot.

- vin