setup-storage does not preserve my partitions

Nicolas Courtel courtel at cena.fr
Mon Oct 13 15:04:40 CEST 2008

Michael Tautschnig a écrit :

>> disk_config sda preserve_always:1,2 bootable:3
>> primary     /boot     512    ext3    rw
>> logical     -       22000-    -    -
>>
>> disk_config lvm
>> vg vg0 sda5
>> vg0-swap    swap     2000    swap    sw
>> vg0-root    /        6000    ext3    rw
>> vg0-var     /var     2000    ext3    rw
>> vg0-usr     /usr     6000    ext3    rw
>> vg0-local   /local   6000    ext3    rw
>>
>> The installation works fine, but does not preserve my partitions, /boot
>> goes to sda1. The log is on http://paste.debian.net/18763/.
>>

> There are in fact two problems here:
>
> 1. Your configuration does not specify the partitions to be preserved; you
> should have
>
> disk_config sda preserve_always:1,2 bootable:3
> primary  -  0  -  -
> primary  -  0  -  -
> primary     /boot     512    ext3    rw
> logical     -       22000-    -    -

Ok, my mistake, I have been mislead by a sentence on the FAI wiki, that
seems to mean that the "preserve" option is now given _only_ on the
disk_config line:

"The "preserveX" and "boot" options are one of the options now given on
the disk_config line..."

Now sda1 & sda2 are preserved, but setup-storage fails when building the
ext3 filesystem on /boot (debug log is on
http://paste.debian.net/19133/). This is weird, as running 'mkfs.ext3
/dev/sda3' works fine from the shell just after installation has stopped.

> 2. There was a bug in setup-storage (just reported as #501772), which your
> report made visible (thanks!!): It should not have destroyed your partitions,
> but instead have failed because your preserve_always specification and the
> disk_config wouldn't have been feasible.
>
> Given the corrected disk_config things should be fine even with the current
> setup-storage version, but you might also want to try the experimental packages
> from http://fai.alioth.debian.org, which include a fix for #501772.

How am I supposed to use this url? adding it to sources.list doesn't
work, as there is no Packages.gz file; shall I just use dpkg?

--
Nicolas