setup-storage does not preserve my partitions

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Oct 10 12:53:38 CEST 2008

> Hello,
>
> To install a multi-boot Vista/Lenny laptop, I need to preserve the first
> 2 primary partitions of the hard disk.
> So I tried the following setup on a test machine, with empty partitions:
>
> disk_config sda preserve_always:1,2 bootable:3
> primary     /boot     512    ext3    rw
> logical     -       22000-    -    -
>
> disk_config lvm
> vg vg0 sda5
> vg0-swap    swap     2000    swap    sw
> vg0-root    /        6000    ext3    rw
> vg0-var     /var     2000    ext3    rw
> vg0-usr     /usr     6000    ext3    rw
> vg0-local   /local   6000    ext3    rw
>
> The installation works fine, but does not preserve my partitions, /boot
> goes to sda1. The log is on http://paste.debian.net/18763/.
>
> Any clue?

There are in fact two problems here:

1. Your configuration does not specify the partitions to be preserved; you
should have

disk_config sda preserve_always:1,2 bootable:3
primary  -  0  -  -
primary  -  0  -  -
primary     /boot     512    ext3    rw
logical     -       22000-    -    -

The size doesn't matter, although you'll get a warning that the specified size
does not match what is on disk.

2. There was a bug in setup-storage (just reported as #501772), which your
report made visible (thanks!!): It should not have destroyed your partitions,
but instead have failed because your preserve_always specification and the
disk_config wouldn't have been feasible.

Given the corrected disk_config things should be fine even with the current
setup-storage version, but you might also want to try the experimental packages
from http://fai.alioth.debian.org, which include a fix for #501772.

Best,