ubuntu 8.10 on client side - first experience

Adrian Gibanel Lopez agibanel at alumnes.udl.cat
Wed Nov 26 13:31:41 CET 2008

Hi Fai List,

  Yesterday I sent a message to the list and among other things I said I
was trying to work with hardy on the client
  side while my server was intrepid 8.10.

   It was an error of mine. I meant intrepid 8.10 in both server and client.

  Now I am going to explain every thing in detail from my ==first
experience== so that you understand me.

First of all let's do a FLASH-FUTURE (opposite to FLASH-BACK). Now I am
seeing my client and the last lines
that I see are these ones:

  LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
  are supported and installed on your system
  ..
  ..
  Done.
  Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ...
  mount: error while loading share libraries: libsepol.so.1: cannot open
share object file: No such file or directory
  Done.
  mount: error while loading share libraries: libsepol.so.1: cannot open
share object file: No such file or directory
  mount: error while loading share libraries: libsepol.so.1: cannot open
share object file: No such file or directory
  run-init: nuking initramfs contents: Directory not empty
  [  142.479095] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

It does not work at all! But how did I get here? Now you will see the
first experience. Just reading the instructions
that were provided by ubuntu hardy fai-doc package fai-guide.pdf.

FLASH-BACK: Working on my recent Ubuntu 8.10 server.

Install the package fai-server and all recommended packages (see ‘Setting
up FAI’ on
page 8 on your install server).

By the way the version of the fai ubuntu packages that I am using is:
3.2.4+svn4837-0ubuntu2

apt-get install dhcp3-server # Instalamos dhcp server
aptitude install fai-quickstart # Sistema basico para fai en servidor
apt-get install debmirror mknbi apt-move mkisofs grub aptitude # Paquetes
sugeridos para fai

Edit configuration files to meet my setup:

/etc/hosts:

  127.0.0.1	localhost
  192.168.1.4	desdeslinserver
  192.168.1.5	demohost

  ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
  fe00::0 ip6-localnet
  ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
  ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
  ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
  ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

/etc/exports:

  /srv/fai/config 192.168.1.4/255.255.255.0(async,ro,no_subtree_check)
  /srv/fai/nfsroot
192.168.1.4/255.255.255.0(async,ro,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)

  /srv/ubuntumirror 192.168.1.4/255.255.255.0(async,ro,no_subtree_check)

FLASH-BACK-BACK: This /srv/ubuntumirror contains three mirrors (read three
folders):
  archive.canonical.com
  security.ubuntu.com
  us.archive.ubuntu.com
which are three repositories that I had previously downloaded with
apt-mirror tool.
(dists and pool folders are found at: us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ folder.)

As you might think /etc/apt/sources.list has been edited accordingly.

  deb file:/home/ubuntu_mirrors/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid
main restricted
  #
  deb-src file:/home/ubuntu_mirrors/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid
main restricted
  #
  deb file:/home/ubuntu_mirrors/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
intrepid-updates main restricted
  #
  deb-src file:/home/ubuntu_mirrors/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
intrepid-updates main restricted

FLASH-BACK: Let's continue with the configuration files description:

/etc/inetd.conf:

tftp           dgram   udp     wait    root  /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
/usr/sbin/in.tftpd -s /srv/tftp

(QUESTION: DO YOU DO IT LIKE THAT?

By default it was:
tftp           dgram   udp     wait    root  /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
/usr/sbin/in.tftpd -s /var/lib/tftpboot
I did not want to put a link in /var/lib/tfpboot to /srv/tftp because I
read somewhere that links
did not work with tftpboot (althought I think it actually depends on the
implementation).

(QUESTION: Should I edit: /etc/default/tftpd-hpa too for avoiding package
updates problems?)

/etc/dhcp3/dhcp.conf:

    ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

    option option-128 code 128 = string;
    option option-129 code 129 = text;
    get-lease-hostnames true;

	group {
	  use-host-decl-names on;
    subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
	  host demohost {
	    hardware ethernet 00:13:49:8A:93:47;
	    fixed-address demohost;
	    filename "/fai/pxelinux.0";
	  }
    }
	}

/etc/fai/fai.conf

    FAI_DEBMIRROR=192.168.1.4:/srv/ubuntumirror
    FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://192.168.1.4$FAI_CONFIGDIR

/etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf

    #FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="hardy http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu"
    FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="intrepid
file:/home/ubuntu_mirrors/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu"

I do not modify /etc/fai/NFSROOT file opposite to what I had already
explained in the other email.

OK. NOW LET'S RUN THE FOLLOWING COMMAND:

( You will find attached to this email fai-setup.log for you to check its
output. )

fai-setup -v

In the output you might see some DEBUG lines that I have added my own.
They only echo text to the screen.

Let's study some of the aparent problems found when running fai-setup -v.
You will tell me please if I should
bother or not about them and how to solve them if it is possible.

  Reading package lists...
  chroot: cannot run command `aptitude': No such file or directory
  Reading package lists...

As long as I understand this is a bug.
If we check: /usr/sbin/make-fai-nfsroot script we see:

    $ROOTCMD apt-get update
    $ROOTCMD aptitude -Rfy install fai-nfsroot
    $ROOTCMD apt-get check

There is also:

    # remove all kernels from nfsroot
    [ -n "$kremove" ] && {
	echo "Removing all kernels from NFSROOT."
	$ROOTCMD aptitude -y purge ~nlinux-image
	exit
    }

but I think that it is not run on my system because of no complains.

I have already kind of fixed this bug in my next try... just add aptitude
to the --include parametres in the debootstrap options variable found at
/etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf file. But let's suppose that I do not fix
it.

    (Reading database ... 8660 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace base-files 4.0.4ubuntu2 (using
.../base-files_4.0.4ubuntu2.2_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement base-files ...
    Setting up base-files (4.0.4ubuntu2.2) ...
    find: `/var/cache/fontconfig': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/cache/fonts': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/cache/anthy': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/lib/belocs': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/lib/gconf': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/lib/defoma': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/log/installer': No such file or directory
    find: `/initrd.img': No such file or directory
    find: `/vmlinuz': No such file or directory
    find: `/cdrom': No such file or directory
    find: `/media/cdrom': No such file or directory
    find: `/usr/share/fonts': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/lib/anthy': No such file or directory
    find: `/var/lib/defoma': No such file or directory

Is it ok or am I doing something wrong?

    Processing triggers for libc6 ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
    install_packages: reading config files from directory /etc/fai
    Adding additional packages to /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir:
    nfs-common fai-nfsroot module-init-tools dhcp3-client ssh rdate lshw
portmap bootpc rsync lftp less dump reiserfsprogs ext2resize usbutils
hwinfo psmisc pciutils hdparm smartmontools parted mdadm lvm2 dnsutils
ntpdate dosfstools cvs jove xfsprogs xfsdump sysutils dialog discover
mdetect console-tools console-common expect iproute udev subversion
sysvinit upstart- live-initramfs linux-image-generic cfengine2
libapt-pkg-perl grub lilo read-edid
    install_packages: reading config files from directory /etc/fai
    install_packages: read config file NFSROOT
    install_packages: executing chroot
/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir apt-get clean
    install_packages: executing chroot
/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir aptitude -R -y -o
Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"
install nfs-common fai-nfsroot module-init-tools dhcp3-client ssh
rdate lshw portmap bootpc rsync lftp less dump reiserfsprogs
ext2resize usbutils hwinfo psmisc pciutils hdparm smartmontools parted
mdadm lvm2 dnsutils ntpdate dosfstools cvs jove xfsprogs xfsdump
sysutils dialog discover mdetect console-tools console-common expect
iproute udev subversion sysvinit upstart- live-initramfs
linux-image-generic cfengine2 libapt-pkg-perl grub lilo read-edid
    chroot: cannot run command `aptitude': No such file or directory
    ERROR: 32512 32512
    ERROR: chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir aptitude -R -y -o
Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"
install nfs-common fai-nfsroot module-init-tools dhcp3-client ssh
rdate lshw portmap bootpc rsync lftp less dump reiserfsprogs
ext2resize usbutils hwinfo psmisc pciutils hdparm smartmontools parted
mdadm lvm2 dnsutils ntpdate dosfstools cvs jove xfsprogs xfsdump
sysutils dialog discover mdetect console-tools console-common expect
iproute udev subversion sysvinit upstart- live-initramfs
linux-image-generic cfengine2 libapt-pkg-perl grub lilo read-edid
return code 127
    install_packages: executing chroot
/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir apt-get clean
    install_packages: executing chroot
/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir dpkg --configure --pending
    install_packages: executing chroot
/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir dpkg -C
    install_packages: executing chroot
/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir apt-get clean
    1 errors during executing of commands
    install_packages exit code: 3

aptitute error comes back again.

    cp: el destino, «/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/fai», no es
un directorio
    Shadow passwords are now on.
    ln: creando el enlace simbólico «etc/init.d/rcS»: El fichero ya existe
    DEBUG: Antes de call_verbose call_with_stamp setup_ssh
    DEBUG: Antes de finalizar la función: create_nfsroot
    cp: no se puede efectuar `stat' sobre
«/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/boot/vmlinuz-*»: No existe el
fichero ó directorio
    cp: no se puede efectuar `stat' sobre
«/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/boot/initrd.img-*»: No existe el
fichero ó directorio
    DHCP environment prepared. If you want to use it, you have to enable
the dhcpd and the tftp-hpa daemon.
    ERROR: live-initramfs was not installed inside the nfsroot.
    Log file written to /var/log/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.log
    Aborting
    Removing `local diversion of /sbin/discover-modprobe to
/sbin/discover-modprobe.distrib'
    Log file written to /var/log/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.log
    * Re-exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...
      ...done.
    FAI setup finished.

Where: "creando el enlace simbólico": Making simbolic link
       "no se puede efectuar stat sobre": We cannot do an stat to.
       "No existe el fichero ó directorio": File or Folder does not exist.

As you can see it complains about live-initramfs not being installed
inside the nfsroot.
I suppose that it comes from aptitude missing in debootstrap.

Well, that's it. I wait for your suggestions.

Next test that I will explain will be based in this one with minor changes.
One change that's going to be for sure is including aptitute package in
the debootstrap
options.

--
Firma Automática 1: