Which class gets applied first?

Ryan Steele ryans at aweber.com
Mon Nov 24 22:15:38 CET 2008

Preface: using version 3.2.14

In a situation where the FAI client uses several classes that have
package_config files, are all the applicable package_config/ files
processed in a certain order, or at the same time?  In other words, are
they processed based on the lexical ordering of their names (e.g. CLASSA
comes before CLASSZ, CLASS1 comes before CLASS2, etc.), or some other
criteria?  As a more concrete example, if I have this in my 50-host-classes:

case $HOSTNAME in
    foobar*)
        echo "CLASS1 CLASS2" ;;

And these files in package_config:

package_config/CLASS1
package_config/CLASS2

...does CLASS1 always get executed before CLASS2, resulting in CLASS1's
packages being installed first?  Do they get processed at the same
time?  It's unclear to me after reading the man page and online
documentation for install_packages.  I started combing through the
install_packages script, but it's (nothing personal) a bit messy/hard to
follow (for example, $package is declared in the readconfig subroutine,
but is never used).  I get the feeling that all the packages get added
to one big packages list when all is said and done, but at this point it
seems more prudent to ask the developers what their intentions are/were,
since they're more intimately familiar with what the code is supposed to do.

Respectfully,
Ryan