Problem booting with a LVM root after installing a client with FAI on debian ETCH

Stephane Martin thewallace94 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 12:42:37 CET 2008

Hello,

I have installed a new system using fai version 3.2.8 on a debian ETCH, the
partition use LVM.
Everything install but when i boot the new system it's blocking for some
time on "Waiting for root filesystem..." then i got an error:

ALERT! /dev/mapper/my_pv-_root does not exist

I then get a initramfs shell, from this shell I discovered that i don't have
/dev/mapper so lvm is not initialised.
/scripts/local-top contain a lvm script file, this file is refering to
/sbin/vgchange but this file is not existing on my initramfs filesystem...

I try to figure out without success why mkinitramfs don't copy vgchange when
building the initramfs...

I am stuck here..

Thanks a lot for your help.

Stephane.