problem with secure apt

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Nov 6 00:08:34 CET 2008

> Hi!
>
> When trying to install packages via fai softupdate.
> I get the following message in software.log:
>
> > WARNING: untrusted versions of the following packages will be installed!
> > Untrusted packages could compromise your system's security.
> > You should only proceed with the installation if you are certain that
> > this is what you want to do.
> >
> >   ganglia-monitor cpucorenumber nettee
> >
> > Do you want to ignore this warning and proceed anyway?
> > To continue, enter "Yes"; to abort, enter "No": Abort.
> > ERROR: 65280 65280
> So these three packages never get installed...
>
> The env var FAI_ALLOW_UNSIGNED=1 is enabled.
>
> We have an unsigned repo,
> but other packages are being installed without any fuss.
>
> Do you now any hardcore switch to enable
> installing those packages?

The following should do the trick, which is only in effect during installs (and
not softupdates):

Create /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10fai containing

APT::Get::AllowUnauthenticated "true";
Aptitude::CmdLine::Ignore-Trust-Violations yes;

which is actually just what FAI_ALLOW_UNSIGNED results in during installs.

Best,