Newbie on FAI

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Fri Mar 14 19:21:27 CET 2008

Hi Walter,
Some question that will help to make helping you possible, and that
might gove you an iudea where to look at:

Walter den Besten wrote:
> [...]
> Do I need to copy the linux kernel files to /boot manually onto the
> server?

No

>Or should that be one of the steps which should be in the demo
> files?

Yes.

> I can't find the place where that should happen.

/boot should be filled with "normal" kernels from "normal" kernel
packages. A Kernel package should be specified for ionstalltion in the
example classes you are using.

Which Version of FAI do you use?
Which Host Distributions and version do you use?
Which distribution are you installing?
Which installation type are you using (network install/cd
install/dirinstall)?

Did you read the (whole) FAI Guide?

What do you see in the installation log files?
(I expect, there must be some error mentioned about problems when
installing the kernel, or, if you look at the classes that are defined,
you don't have any kernel specified to install for any o the classes)

Henning