Cannot open /proc/partitions

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Wed Mar 12 00:13:33 CET 2008

> Hi all,
>
> I'am using a home made kernel 2.6.24.2, based on ubuntu's kernel config.
> I have patched it with unionfs.
>
> When trying to boot FAI with this kernel I get:
>

> --------
> Probing disks:
> Disks found: Cannot open /proc/partitions
> cannot open /proc/partitions
>
> Unsing config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/GUTSYBASE
> Mapping disk name disk1 to
> ERROR could not read /dev/
>
> [....]
>
> -----------
>
> And goes on a shell prompt...
>
> My config files where working on older kernel versions, but I need to
> update kernel to work with some new hardware...

In any case, the problem is most likely a module that doesn't get loaded. This
may be due to several reasons:
- your kernel build doesn't even include the module
- the initrd is missing the appropriate module
- you did not install the modules into the NFSROOT properly

In all cases: Use the shell prompt to find out more, like trying to load the
module manually and so on, dmesg, ...

Best,