FAI not picking up hostname from DNS

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Fri Jun 27 20:48:02 CEST 2008

James wrote:

>> What's the exact symptom?
> System won't pickup classes defined cause it can't define system
> hostname. I noticed it just default sets it to "host"

So, after the install, before faireboot, the hostname command get's you
a "host"? Or is the hostname set corectly in the shell

Usually I only see this, if my DHCP doesn't know the system and gives it
a random ip from the pool.

>> the fai and distribution version yo are using?
> FAI 3.2.8 June 15

On Etch?

> I have no idea how i would set the hostname since i thought it would
> just know from DHCP + BIND

Right, it should!

Are you absolutely sure the host's mac and everything is correct in
dhcp? Does it really get the intended IP or some random one?

Henning