FAI not picking up hostname from DNS

James james at nttmcl.com
Fri Jun 27 20:41:46 CEST 2008

> What's the exact symptom?
System won't pickup classes defined cause it can't define system
hostname. I noticed it just default sets it to "host" and then choose
the classes defined in the *) entry in the 50-host-classes file

my hostname is vm00.blahblahblah.com
here's my class entry:

 # use a list of classes for our demo machine
case $HOSTNAME in
    vm*)
        echo "FAIBASE DHCPC SETUPSTORAGE"   ;;
    *)
        echo "FAIBASE DHCPC SETUPSTORAGE"   ;;
esac

(ifclass I386 || ifclass AMD64) && echo GRUB
exit 0

> the fai and distribution version yo are using?
FAI 3.2.8 June 15
> cd or pxe install?
PXE
> It sometimes happend, and there was some confusion in hostname
> handling in FAI in some versions - but if you system is iself set to
> some random hostname (things I had at time is "host", "debian" or
> completly empty) \
I have no idea how i would set the hostname since i thought it would
just know from DHCP + BIND

> Sure, you DNS and DHCP should be fully fcuntional, and you shuold be
> very sure that there is no secsond dhcp running...
There's only one DHCP server running

TIA
-James