etch-fai-server should install lenny-client

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Thu Jul 10 19:59:20 CEST 2008

lee hartley wrote:
> I was going down a similar road...and was pointed to the multi-distro
> information...I did not end up needing to, as my server, client, etc
> are all lenny....put I can say this much - no, they do not have to be
> the same, and i think the thing you will have to look into is creating
> the proper base.tgz ......someone else could say more

Yes, in short it's putting a DISTRIBUTION-CLASS.tar.gz (not sure if tgz
works, too) into basefiles directory in configspace - and adjust scripts
and package lists to probably different package names in Lenny.
And you'll want to make sure that _after_ preparapt, but _before_
install you fcopy the right sources.list for lenny.

For bootstrapping Lenny, you'll need debootstrap >=1.0. That's what
fai-distributions takes care about.

In package list files you can even make specific packages list per
distribution class.
(e.g. in the package list for class WEBSERVER, you might have different
packages for LENNY and ETCH).

Henning

...wondering if I could make a simpler doc for this stuff with the
things above ?! :)