Trouble with a Bladecenter

Roel van der Made r.vandermade at marktplaats.nl
Wed Jan 30 12:44:03 CET 2008

Hi Max,

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 05:23 +0100, Maximilian Wilhelm wrote:
> Am Monday, den 28 January hub Roel van der Made folgendes in die Tasten:
>
> Hi!
>
> > I'm having exact the same problem with our Dell 1955 chassis servers and
> > until know did not find what is preventing the nfs-mount to succeed.
>
> I never had problems with getting FAI running on our 1955 Dell blades.
>
> Did you try to put the same Vlan on both NICs/switchports?
> Maybe something swaps network cards after booting (udev comes to mind
> to do thing one don't expect, need or want...)

There we go, although I was convinced I tested this scenario it is
indeed swapping nic's during (kernel-)boot-time and thus the mac
addresses and the nics dont correspond anymore and thus the installation
hangs at the moment of NIC initialization....

I just saw this page : http://linux.dell.com/debian_9g.shtml which
mentions the issue and also the solution in a more recent kernel.

I will build a new kernel now (2.6.24) and see if this indeed solves the
problem permanently.

> (Allthough I don't know if udev is used in never FAI versions, it did
>  harm us as the eth0 and eth1 were swapped after first reboot ...)

Yep..

> Ciao
> Max

thanks!