Trouble with a Bladecenter

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Fri Jan 25 11:25:23 CET 2008

[...]
> The BL460c blades have two network interfaces, But even disabling one of
> them int server's BIOS - so that there is only eth0 - doesn't change
> anything. This is because the kernel detects the interfaces just the other
> way around than the bios lists them.

[...]

Lovely - we don't actually have blades here, but firewalls with 5 network
interfaces, their order changes all the time, but a bit of trying&guessing helps
if you change the append line to the following to your pxelinux.cfg/<MAC>:

append ip=192.168.248.5:192.168.248.29:192.168.248.1:255.255.255.192:frog.model:eth1:dhcp ...

That is, you set a fixed IP address and hostname for interface eth1, where eth1
is subject to change all the time. We don't reinstall our firewalls that often,
so the bit of overhead of trying eth0,eth1,eth2,eth3,eth4 is acceptable.

HTH,