FAI Classes

James james at nttmcl.com
Thu Jan 17 02:05:49 CET 2008

Hi Everyone i've just started using FAI recently and am having a pretty
hard time understanding the classes to create different computer profiles

My Setup:
First off I'm NOT using PXE BOOT with DNS and DHCP.
I'm creating boot cds and just using those to do installations
i'm having to set the ip=:::::dhcp and nfsroot= manually when creating
the boot disks
I do however already have an existing DHCP server and client machines
should be able to grab on to them like that.

So i want to be able to create a different classes for different
machines say like

1. PROFILE1 - BAREBONES
2. PROFILE2 - LAMP
3. PROFILE3 - GUI

I've tried reading the wiki and documentation but it sounds like german
to me (i'm not german).

i don't understand where in the /srv/fai/config folders that i need to
define these classes
i'm assuming it would be under /srv/fai/config/class
Also which scripts attach to those classes.

so if i create a file /srv/fai/config/class/PROFILE1
how do scripts or hooks under /srv/fai/config/scripts/ or
/srv/fai/config/hooks relate back to that class?
Also how do i define which /srv/fai/config/disk_config file is gonna be
read?

Also for instance when booting on floppy i don't exactly have a choice
of which class to boot.

I don't comprehend text as well as examples.
So the more examples of actual config scenarios the better for me.
Appreciate the help

Thanks
-James