NFSROOT, for AOE booting

Jean Spirat jeanspirat at squirk.org
Tue Dec 23 09:53:04 CET 2008

> are you sure, that the initrd you are booting via pxe is really the
> one you have changed?
> I also need changes to the initrd and as there is currently no established
> method in FAI to do this. I use NFSROOT_HOOKS to run a
> script at the end of make-fai-nfsroot, which sets up the initramfs hooks,
> re-runs update-initramfs and copies the results again. Not the most elegant
> way, but I don't see a better one at the moment.
>
> This is the hook file I use:
> # cat /etc/fai/nfsroot-hooks/patch-initrd
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
>
> echo "Enter patch initrd hook"
>
> # copy files to patch initrd
> cp /usr/local/etc/*patch $NFSROOT/usr/local/etc
> cp /usr/local/etc/initramfs-tools_hook_network $NFSROOT/etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/network
>
> $ROOTCMD update-initramfs -k all -t -u
> cp -pv $NFSROOT/boot/vmlinu?-* $NFSROOT/boot/initrd.img-* $TFTPROOT
>
> echo "Exit patch initrd hook"
>

> Bye, Ralf

thanks, i will try this one. The initrd is the good one, For now i am
able to boot from aoe but the root fs is mounted read only :) so FAI
fails to start.

FAI_ACTION: install
Performing FAI installation. All data may be overwritten!

Calling task_install
/usr/lib/fai/subroutines: line 470:
/var/run/fai/FAI_INSTALLATION_IN_PROGRESS: Read-only file system
/usr/lib/fai/subroutines: line 86: /tmp/fai/dmesg.log: No such file or
directory
Calling task_partition
Partitioning local harddisks using setup_harddisks
tee: /tmp/fai/format.log: No such file or directory
setup_harddisks version 0.43fai
Probing disks:
Disks found: sda etherd/e10.0 etherd/e10.1

ERROR: no config file for setup_harddisk found. Please check you classes
and files in disk_config.
cat: /tmp/fai/format.log: No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `/target': Read-only file system
mkdir: cannot create directory `/target': Read-only file system
find: `/tmp/fai': No such file or directory
ln: creating symbolic link `/tmp/fai/../last-install': No such file or
directory
ln: creating symbolic link `/tmp/fai/../last': No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `/target': Read-only file system
cp: cannot stat `/tmp/fai/*': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `/target/var/log/fai/(none)/install-': No such file
or directory
chgrp: cannot access `/target/var/log/fai/(none)/install-': No such file
or directory
chmod: cannot access `/target/var/log/fai/(none)/install-': No such file
or directory
ln: creating symbolic link `/target/var/log/fai/localhost': No such file
or directory
ln: creating symbolic link `/target/var/log/fai/(none)/last-install': No
such file or directory
ln: creating symbolic link `/target/var/log/fai/(none)/last': No such
file or directory
Partitioning tool did not create /tmp/fai/disk_var.sh file.
bash: no job control in this shell
root@(none):/# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
none on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10240k,mode=755)
/dev/etherd/e10.1p1 on / type ext3 (ro,errors=continue,data=ordered)

i have to digg a little to find why it is mounted read only and then the
system will be able to work.

regards,
Jean