NFSROOT, for AOE booting

Ralf Utermann ralf.utermann at physik.uni-augsburg.de
Fri Dec 19 14:44:22 CET 2008

Jean Spirat wrote:
[...]
> without needing manual tweaking for it :)
>
> Also i have issues because initramfs cannot mount the /live I have
>
> /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/aoetools
>
> /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/aoetools
>
> the hooks copy the module and aoe-discover tool, the localtop should
> "ifconfig up" all the interfaces and aoe-discover to create the
> /dev/ether/ex device but it seems the /live is done before. Any one got
> links to some help or know how to solve this ?

are you sure, that the initrd you are booting via pxe is really the
one you have changed?
I also need changes to the initrd and as there is currently no established
method in FAI to do this. I use NFSROOT_HOOKS to run a
script at the end of make-fai-nfsroot, which sets up the initramfs hooks,
re-runs update-initramfs and copies the results again. Not the most elegant
way, but I don't see a better one at the moment.

This is the hook file I use:
# cat /etc/fai/nfsroot-hooks/patch-initrd

#!/bin/sh
#

echo "Enter patch initrd hook"

# copy files to patch initrd
cp /usr/local/etc/*patch $NFSROOT/usr/local/etc
cp /usr/local/etc/initramfs-tools_hook_network $NFSROOT/etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/network

$ROOTCMD update-initramfs -k all -t -u
cp -pv $NFSROOT/boot/vmlinu?-* $NFSROOT/boot/initrd.img-* $TFTPROOT

echo "Exit patch initrd hook"

Bye, Ralf
--
        Ralf Utermann