NFSROOT, for AOE booting

Jean Spirat jeanspirat at squirk.org
Wed Dec 17 15:27:24 CET 2008

Thomas Lange a écrit :

>     >   I am trying to build a nfsroot that will be mounted using AOE and not
>     > NFS. For this i use a partition mounted here
>     > /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir. The issue i have is that if i
>     > rebuild the nfsroot i got an error: /usr/sbin/make-fai-nfsroot tries to
>     > remove the mountpoint and fail. Is there any way to go around that ?
> Please give us the exact error message of make-fai-nfsroot -v
>
> Why not NFS? Try to keep things simple. NFS will work without any
> problems.

fai01:/# make-fai-nfsroot
Creating FAI nfsroot in /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir.
By default it needs more than 390 MBytes disk space.
This may take a long time.
/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir already exists. Removing
/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir
rm: ne peut détruire le répertoire
`/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir': Périphérique ou ressource occupé
Log file written to /var/log/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.log

Basicaly it want to remove the mountpoint.

NFS is considered unsecure by some, it is complicated, it open plenty of
ports on your host and a single config error would make my life a
security hell (installing corrupted server images), i am in an open
infrastructure so the less i open it, the better i feel,

Also for linux the nfs daemon is located for a big part in kernel so it
cannot be run in vserver guests ( user space version is completly
obsolete) and this is an issue for me nothing should run on the host,
and....i have an AOE target so why not use it as  it remove all those
troublesome issues for me in one swipe.

The issue is then how to create all the initramfs files and make the
make-fai-nfsroot works with:

- custom initramfs configuration
- nfsroot mount point

without needing manual tweaking for it :)

Also i have issues because initramfs cannot mount the /live I have

/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/aoetools
/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/aoetools

the hooks copy the module and aoe-discover tool, the localtop should
"ifconfig up" all the interfaces and aoe-discover to create the
/dev/ether/ex device but it seems the /live is done before. Any one got
links to some help or know how to solve this ?

i am stuck at the initramsfs prompt and i can modprobe aoe and
aoe-discover and it works :

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 1:1.10.2-2) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs)
(initramfs) ls -la /dev/tty
crw-rw-rw-    1 0        0          5,   0 Dec 17 14:36 /dev/tty
(initramfs) modprobe aoe
(initramfs) ifconfig eth3 up
(initramfs) aoe-discover
(initramfs) [ 2804.565557] aoe: 0030486265aa e10.0 v00a6 has 585940992
sectors
[ 2804.565557] aoe: 0030486265aa e10.1 v00a6 has 97656832 sectors
[ 2804.565557]  etherd/e10.0: p1
[ 2804.598817]  etherd/e10.1: p1 p2

but it does not do it automaticaly to mount and boot the FAI system.

regards,
Jean.