Purging unlisted packages

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Sat Dec 13 21:21:06 CET 2008

Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> I guess we could try to get the list of all depends and then use Holger's
> suggestion about the very simple diff-approach.

The problem is not the diffing, but getting the proper list...
But you're right, it might work with libapt-pkg-perl.

Maybe it also works with something as simple as feeding the list of
explicit packages into apt-get install with the no-action option?!
(and aptitude and others that are possible with PACKAGES lists)

> Well, and that list of depends
> we could maybe get from libapt-pkg-perl (hopefully). If the latter is the case,
> it's really not that hard.

It might be less than a week, but more than a day of work...

> Who on the list is familiar with that perl package?
> And well, it would also be cool for FAI-installed systems, because changing
> package lists may result in packages on your system that you don't need anymore.

Removing classes, too.
It's not as much a bad idea as Thomas said, that's why I wrote I
disagree with him.

The next step would be to track changes made by classes, to
reverse-patch changed files, to get some sort of "undo" function, to
really remove changes made by classes.

I had a presentation with a potential customer who asked for this - even
more, for the ability to go back to a specific state - or at least one
step back like "before the last softupdate" - even better "before the
last three softwupdates" or "state of 2008-10-22"... interestintg
things, but here we are really talking rather weeks than days of work.

It would be cool to have these things - let's find somebody to
implement it :)

By the way, anwother interesting project that seems to deal with the
difference between the ideal that one only has exactly configured system
only changed by the config management system, versus the reality that
somtimes fast manual changes are necessary(in an emergency, as well as
in development of some configuration, you cannot always run the system
for every little change) is this one:

http://cft.et.redhat.com/

Henning

- --