Purging unlisted packages

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Dec 12 21:59:15 CET 2008

> Thomas Lange wrote:
> > I think it's not possible. See above. Start with a new installation of
> > the system.
>

> I don't think it's impossible - it's just hard.
> (but maybe even not as hard as we might think).

I guess we could try to get the list of all depends and then use Holger's
suggestion about the very simple diff-approach. Well, and that list of depends
we could maybe get from libapt-pkg-perl (hopefully). If the latter is the case,
it's really not that hard. Who on the list is familiar with that perl package?

And well, it would also be cool for FAI-installed systems, because changing
package lists may result in packages on your system that you don't need anymore.
Of course, that's only the case with softupdates.

Best,