new to the list and fai

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Wed Aug 27 10:34:22 CEST 2008

Jean Spirat wrote:
> after a little kernel info reading it seems i just have to replace the
> /dev/nfs by root=/dev/eth10.5 rootfstype=ext3 and it should work ? How
> can i setupt this in FAI ?

I'm not sure if that is enough.
Defining /dev/nfs usually makes the initrd (or, in FAI's case, also
livehelper? I'm not too deep into these details) scripts do "something"
to get the nfs export mounted.
Also, the livehelper scripts do some things that might be adjusted.

I don't know what kind of things might be necessary with AOE.

But, anyway, I guess you should try it like this, and see what happens -
report back here or ask on irc if it doesn't work directly.

Another things you might consider, if you use AOE anyway to mount the
root FS for running the systems after installation, and probably boot
the systems from PXE anyway, you might consider to build your initial
installation from a central server, just mount the root fs there, and do
a FAI dirinstall.

You lose the partitioning features there, but I don't know if you want
them anyway in such a SAN setup.

> is it something like:
>
> fai-chboot -v aoe-enabled-kernel  /dev/eth10.5  testhost

if the above is correctly working, this could be about it.

Henning