Trouble getting desired packages to install

Matt Funke Matt.Funke at plexus.com
Fri Aug 22 13:24:30 CEST 2008

Okay.  I upgraded to FAI 3.2.8 so that I could run fai-cd without having
to find a sarge installation.

And it worked!  Amazingly well, it would seem.  Thank you all for your
hard work.

My only remaining problem is that packages I wanted to install in
addition to the usual Debian stuff didn't seem to make it onto the FAI
ISO.  Let me try to outline what I did, and hopefully, it will be
obvious to you what I did wrong.

First, after making sure I had the new versions of fai-server, fai-doc,
and fai-quickstart, I ran 'make-fai-nfsroot' (with the verbosity switch
on... even though I don't understand *everything* that rushes past, I
hope to learn).  I verified that it finished successfully.

After that, I edited /srv/fai/config/package_config/DEFAULT to reflect
the extra packages I wanted to include.  (The new contents of that file
appear beneath the dotted line below.)  The machine I'm running fai-cd
on has these packages already, if that makes any difference.

Then, after making a directory for the partial mirror (/faimirror), I
ran '/usr/bin/fai-mirror -v -cDEFAULT /faimirror'.

Finally, I ran '/usr/sbin/fai-cd -m /faimirror /faicd20080820.iso'.

I burned the ISO file above onto a CD and performed an FAI installation
to the demohost.  The extra packages I wanted don't seem to be there,
though.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your time and attention.  Please let me know if
there's any additional information you require.

 -- Best Regards,
    Matthew Funke
    matt.funke at plexus.com

Here are the contents of /srv/fai/config/package_config/DEFAULT:
PACKAGES aptitude I386
memtest86+
apache2
mono-apache-server2