Clarifications of preserve-syntax in setup-storage

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Aug 1 10:13:18 CEST 2008

Hi all,

in the FAI wiki Paul Lussier started a talk with questions regarding the
preserve equivalents in setup-storage (Paul, I hope you're on the list as well).

The question was:

> could anybody give me the right trasformation of this configuration to the new format
>
>  disk_config hda
>  primary - preserve1
>  primary - preserve2
>  primary / 100- rw,errors=remount-ro ; boot -j ext3
>  logical swap 128 sw

Some discussions in last year's developer meeting resulted in a change of the
preserve syntax to two possible options: preserve_always and preserve_reinstall.
In preparing this message I noted that not only users might be confused about
that, but also the man-page has several inconsistencies and lacks proper
documentation. I'll fix that in a moment, but first let me try to explain:

- There is no preserveX in the partition lines anymore.
- The above config is now written as

disk_config hda preserve_always:1,2 bootable:3
# sizes chose arbitrarily, don't know
primary  -     1000
primary  -     1000
primary  /     100-  ext3  rw,errors=remount-ro
logial   swap  128   swap  sw

- Instead of preserve_always, preserve_reinstall could have been used. Then, the
  partition would be preserved _unless "initial" is added to FAI_FLAGS_. In the
  latter case, the partition would be newly created.

I hope this clarifies things, and I'll try to fix the man-page and the wiki page
as soon as possible!

Best,