setup-storage and grub issue

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Mon Apr 14 09:58:31 CEST 2008

> Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > Hmm, ok, this is not as straightforward as I hoped. I need to look
> > into this
> > more thoroughly, but this will take some time.
> >
> > Until then I suggest you modify the GRUB/* scripts such as to work without the
> > BOOT_DEVICE/BOOT_PARTITION information, which I guess will be quite a quick fix.
> >
> OK, but setting BOOT_DEVICE to the first disk device if /boot is on a
> RAID1 and NOMBR is not set will at least install a bootable system.
>
> Booting from the 2nd harddrive in case of failure turns out quite
> tricky, I'll keep you informed if you're interessted.

Hmm, according to GRUB docs it may or may not be able to use RAID devices
directly, and alas set them up as appropriate; it will certainly depend on the
GRUB version, newer versions should be able to do this.

I thus committed version r4869, which does set the BOOT_* variables in all
cases, but uses the RAID/LVM device names, and does (for now) not resolve them
to the underlying disk partitions.

Could you please give this version a try and report the results? In case this
does not work the way I hope it does, we will need to do this manually, i.e.,
resolve the disk parition names and so on. Not that it would be so hard to do
within setup-storage, but the scripts will require updates as well, as you
described.

HTH,