How to install a non-default kernel?

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Fri Oct 26 01:28:20 CEST 2007

 > Please inspect your software.log

I did. Obviously that packagename- thing does not work the way I thought
it did. I though that FAI would compile a list of packages to install
from all classes, i.e. whatever packages the next class wants will be
added and packages which have a - after them will be taken off the list
again.

But it seems that aptitude / install is called for every class separately.

So FAIBASE installes linux-image-486 which installs linux-image-2.6-486
and linux-image-2.6.18-5-486.

In order to ever get rid of linux-image-2.6.18-5-486 again, that one
(and not just linux-image-486) needs to be removed, i.e.:

in package_config/MYCLASS:

PACKAGES install

# VServer enabled kernel
linux-image-2.6.18-5-vserver-686
linux-image-2.6.18-5-486-

This will purge linux-image-2.6.18-5-486 (which had been actually
physically installed before!) and install
linux-image-2.6.18-5-vserver-686 instead.

Not all that elegant, but serves the purpose.

And this does indeed only work with PACKAGES install, not with PACKAGES
aptitude, at least in MYCLASS. (I did not toch FAIBASE.)

Regards,
Torsten