setup_harddisks 2

Andreas Schuldei andreas+linux-fai at schuldei.org
Sun Oct 7 23:28:11 CEST 2007

hi!

i am using setup_harddisks as described here:
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Setup_harddisks_2

i noticed several issues when i try to run a test install, in
order of importance (ascending):

* it would be nice to be able to specify partition sizes in K, M,
  G and T. (like 512K for a 512Kbyte partition or a 6.5T for a
  bigger one with several terabyte). the latter ones become more
  common and are awkward to write in the Mbyte unit that is
  supported now.

* the "disk1" notiation seems to be gone. this is a little sad as
  in my case the disk detection order seems to be strange at
  times. that manifests itself inthe fact that i in most boots
  dont have the harddisks as ѕda, sdb, sdc, sdd but instead sdb,
  sdc, sdd, sde.
  In that case the install stops at that point and everything
  comes to a grinding halt. I have to boot several times untill
  the system decides to come up with an sda.

* i want to use lvm and have this configuration:

========
disk_config sda
primary         swap            4000    swap    sw
primary         /boot           256     ext3    rw,notail
primary         -               0-      -       -

[... i skip sdb-sdd for brevity ...]

disk_config lvm
vg  my_pv       sda3, sdb2, sdc2, sdd2
my_pv-_root     /               3000    ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro
my_pv-_var      /var            0-      xfs     rw,notail,noatime

=========

 and the installation stops with the error:
 Could not read device /dev/lvm
 that seems to be a misunderstanding of the lvm keyword and a
 bug.

if you want you can give me commitaccess to the repository so i
can skip the manual diffing and sending via the list - i dont
have patches yet. but please tell me if you have any preferences
how this should be fixed. i have no idea how to solve problem 2
properly.

/andreas