Problems installing a client

Bernhard Glomm B.Glomm at gmx.de
Thu Oct 4 21:26:56 CEST 2007

Hi Thomas,

I installed my faiserver with the actual fai-cd img
"fai-cd-3.2.iso"

> You are using the package boot-cd?
No, I just created a bootable CD instead of a bootfloppy with make-fai-bootfloppy...

>     > after manually installing fai-kernels into the nfsroot
> fai-kernels is obsolete now. Do not use it with newer FAI versions!
??? Than make-fai-bootcd take the 2.6.18-5-486 kernel
(which is shipped with the FAI-CD img),
that boot-CD than isn't bootable at all
(I used a cd for speeding up the boot process,
and I also used the -B option in make-fai-bootfloop, same result)

error with the 2.6.18-5-486 kernel is:
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or unknown block(0,255)
Kernel panic ... etc

>     > Any clues why the client can't create it's temp dirs/files?
> Because you are not using unionfs IMO.
ahhhhm well - actually - no, i guess ;-)
I installed "unionfs-modules-2.6.18-5-486 and unionfs-tools" into
the faiserver and into the nfsroot (the ...modules... was present in the nfsroot already)
but that doesn't change anything :-(

How do I get unionfs to work than?

TIA

Bernhard

P.S.: make-fai-bootfloppy also still usese $NFSROOT so I had to patch it with NFSROOT=$NFSROOT/live/filesystem.dir to make it work...