make-fai-nfsroot dies with return code 100

Goesta Smekal goesta at smekal.at
Thu Nov 8 23:34:40 CET 2007

Dear list,

   after a few weeks I tried to re-create the nfsroot on my FAI
experimental system (Debian etch, FAI v3.1.8) because there where some
strange errors on the FAI client trying to install upstart from debian
experimental. There were some broken dependency problems with libc6
during a fresh install, so I assumed the libc6 version in nfsroot was
outdated.

   When I run "make-fai-nfsroot -v" there is a great deal of activity
and everything seems fine until and inluding "Creating base.tgz" but
when "Upgrading /srv/fai/nfsroot" starts the installation of packages fails:

[start output]
Upgrading /srv/fai/nfsroot
`/etc/resolv.conf' -> `/srv/fai/nfsroot/etc/resolv.conf-installserver'
`/etc/resolv.conf' -> `/srv/fai/nfsroot/etc/resolv.conf'
Get:1 http://apt-proxy.localnet testing Release.gpg [189B]
Get:2 http://apt-proxy.localnet testing Release [68.5kB]
Get:3 http://apt-proxy.localnet testing/main Packages [6288kB]
Get:4 http://apt-proxy.localnet testing/contrib Packages [83.3kB]
Get:5 http://apt-proxy.localnet testing/non-free Packages [110kB]
Fetched 6550kB in 6s (1072kB/s)

Reading package lists... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
   apt apt-utils aptitude fai-client file gcc-4.2-base libapt-pkg-perl
libc6 libdb4.6 libgcc1 libmagic1
   libncurses5 libncursesw5 libselinux1 libsepol1 libslang2 libstdc++6
perl perl-base perl-modules zlib1g
Suggested packages:
   dpkg-dev apt-doc bzip2 lzma debtags locales glibc-doc
libterm-readline-gnu-perl libterm-readline-perl-perl
Recommended packages:
   aptitude-doc-en aptitude-doc libparse-debianchangelog-perl libgpmg1
libpng12 perl-doc
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   tzdata util-linux
   fai-client fai-nfsroot file gcc-4.2-base libapt-pkg-perl libdb4.6
libmagic1 perl perl-modules
   apt apt-utils aptitude libc6 libgcc1 libncurses5 libncursesw5
libselinux1 libsepol1 libslang2 libstdc++6
   perl-base zlib1g
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
   util-linux tzdata (due to util-linux)
13 upgraded, 9 newly installed, 2 to remove and 86 not upgraded.
Need to get 18.4MB of archives.
After unpacking 21.1MB of additional disk space will be used.
E: There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes
Aborting
No diversion `any diversion of /sbin/discover-modprobe', none removed
omnibook:~# echo $?
100
[end output]

My /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot looks like this (any comments removed for
brevity):

NFSROOT=/srv/fai/nfsroot
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="etch http://apt-proxy.localnet:9999/debian"
FAI_ROOTPW=<changed to something else>
KERNELPACKAGE=/usr/lib/fai/kernel/linux-image-2.6.18-fai-kernels_1_i386.deb
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--exclude=dhcp-client,info"

/etc/fai/apt/sources.list contains:

deb http://apt-proxy.localnet:9999/debian testing main contrib non-free
# deb http://apt-proxy.localnet:9999/debian experimental main

   The second line is for upstart and was commented out for testing reasons.

   I did run both 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' on the server
before. No difference. Apt-proxy works fine.

   Any ideas?

   Goesta Smekal

--
#!/usr/bin/perl
foreach $c (split(/ /,"47 6f 65 73 74 61 20 53 6d 65 6b 61 6c 0d 0a")) {