Using FAI to install a "root Server"

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Mon May 14 17:18:21 CEST 2007

Holger,

I had been thinking a bit about your suggestion over the weekend. In my
special situation (rented dedicated server, aka "root Server") it would
of course cover 3/4 of the potential benefits to "just" use the so
called "soft update" for configuring and installing software
automatically after a manual installation of the root system.

But I would like to have that last 1/4 as well.

Typically, "manual installation" in case of a root Server means that you
will get any kind of image that the company you rent the server from has
created. That image might already contain stuff you don't want (I once
had a complete graphical desktop in such an image; quite useful on a
headless server) and AFAIU this won't get de-installed by FAI.

Another subject is disk partitioning. With the image, I either get all
of the disk in one partition (and I might want to have separate system
and user data partitions) or vice versa. So I need to reformat.

Also some server rental companies are slow to support new kernel version
in their images and we for sure want Xen kernels with some of our machines.

So adding this up, I feel that it's worth solving this properly and come
up with a mechanism to make sure that a root server gets installed with
the disk paritions and the kernel I want and *only* the software I want.

Not to mention desaster recovery. A desaster will always happen when you
will not be there yourself and don't have the most experienced personell
on duty. So having kind of a one-button restore mechanism (after someone
replaced a faulty harddisk for example) can be quite useful as well.

Of course, this is an individual decision.

Regards,
Torsten