The future of fai-cd

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Mon May 14 11:33:00 CEST 2007

    > I'm just wondering what the future of fai-cd will be? Is Holger's version, i.e.,
    > is live-cd the future? Or is there any ongoing effort to move away from
    > mkinitrd-cd?
I'm not sure if mkinitrd-cd will be available in the future. It
depends on uclibc. I talked to the maintainer of mkinitrd-cd but I'm
not sure when he will fix mkinitrd-cd, maybe using another
technique. I also talked to the grml guys. They also like my proposal
to write a hook for mkinitramfs that does the part of detecting the
file system (flat or compressed) on a CD-ROM (or USB stick) and mount
it as root file system. Shouldn't be that complicated, but tests will
take some time.

I hope have some more contacts at LinuxTag and I think that I will start
at Debconf on writing this hook.

Holger's version which is still using live-package AFAIK (which was
replaced by live-helper) is IMHO not a good solution. It uses casper,
which is much to much for just starting the fai-cd. So, we have too
mcu hdependencies on things we do not need. But I will talk to Holger
at debconf, so we can discuss the pro's and contra's of our different
solution. He, that would be a topic for a BOF.

Currently I'm testing how to create a sarge chroot environment (buy
using FAI's dirinstall) on an etch machine, to call fai-cd inside this chroot.