FAI kernel won't boot on certain boxes

Frank Doepper fd at taz.de
Wed May 9 19:27:50 CEST 2007

Am 09.05.2007 18:38 schrieb Thomas Lange:

>     > But both, the out-of-the-box kernel and the self-compiled kernel, won't
>     > boot on a certain variant of "transtec" Intel Celeron PC. It says
> Mmm. Which variant?
> I only know of problems with some e1000 cards, where the fai
> kernels hangs when doing DHCP request.

No, it dies at the very beginning when exec'ing the kernel. Not a single
sign of life from the kernel at all.

I have just tried to change some kernel configuration details (processor
type, smp support) and recompiled and tried, but it's still the same.

If you want to have a look at the old-fai-cd-sysinfo-log from kernel
2.6.8, here it is:
http://taz.de/~fd/stuff/fai.log

Just tried the fai-3.0-cd with linux-2.6.17, it works.

Tried that kernel via netboot - it does not work!

So I think it has to do rather with pxelinux than with the kernel. It is
from recent syslinux version 1:3.31-4. The pxelinux.cfg entry is

label fai-generated
kernel vmlinuz-install
append ip=dhcp  root=/dev/nfs
  nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroot,v3,tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768
  FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt

Maybe I need to upgrade the PXE-BIOS? Is this becoming off-topic?

Regards,
Frank.