FAI kernel won't boot on certain boxes

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Wed May 9 18:53:45 CEST 2007

On 5/9/07, Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de> wrote:
> You can also use a stock Debian kernel with initrd. Have a look at
> http://www.uni-koeln.de/bin2/maillist/linux-fai/20070105.220333/174065
> --

It depends - YMMV.
When I tried this, I did not get all needed parameters through.

Old notes I made in a mail draft as response to this thread, which I
never sent because I never found the time again to check that further.

"
- saving logs on the right server could be changed by adding the
LOGSERVER variable to fai.conf (and recreating the nfsroot, or also
changing in nfsroot/etc/fai/fai,conf), but  my system still tries to
run fai-chboot on a server with the ip 1.2.3.4, which is the same as
given on the kernel command line (but not used for ip config because
dhcp is used later).

- somehow the mounting of the config space takes a long while. I get
portmap error messages.  It seems, thet portmapper is not correctly
run in this setup.

- I am a bit confused about the problems with getting the
installserver from dhcp...
"

So, in my opinion, this is a good idea to do it like this, and to get
rid of the fai-kernels, but, at least when I last tried, it does not
work nice and easy in the same way as it does with the fai-kernels.

Have to investigate further, and maybe look if the problem might be
solved in newer versions of the initrdtools.

Henning