dual ethernet, single FAI

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Fri Mar 30 16:17:07 CEST 2007

Hi,

it's Friday, and obviously everyone has already left for the weekend ...
so I have no other choice than trying the stuff out myself :-/

> Looking at the FAI guide (is there no newer version than 2.5.2?), ip=...
> seems to do the trick... and after reading Documentation/nfsroot.txt in
> the kernel sources, I'd like to verify that I
> - have to prioritize eth1 PXE boot over eth0

That's been done long before - in fact, even the single-homed nodes waste
some seconds trying to PXE from the unused port.

> - have to replace the "ip=dhcp" kernel option by "ip=:::::eth1:dhcp"

Did that.

> - don't need to change anything in dhcpd.conf
> and DHCP will limit itself to eth1, and fill in all the missing pieces?

Obviously it did...

> Since I have a IPMI card installed, and assigned to COM2, would I also be
> able to watch the installation using
> 	console=tty0 console=ttyS1,19200n8
> as another append'ed option?

Yes, and I was able to watch the installation proceed and finish (I had
removed the "reboot" part from the parameter line), to CTRL-C into a
shell, look around (in /tmp/fai/error.log, and /tmp/target/boot), and
eventually reboot the node by CTRL-D'ing twice.

Now for some unknown reason GRUB is stuck with
GRUB loading, please wait...

I guess that's something to investigate on Monday, using a sysinfo boot.
Leaving for the weekend now :-) (oh wait, first "ipmitool chassis power
off" that beast...)

Cheers,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/