problems after LVM+RAID install

Toni Mueller support-fai at oeko.net
Thu Jun 28 18:55:08 CEST 2007

Hello,

I've massaged the script found here

http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/User:Gervai/Raid_and_LVM_hook

to mostly correctly install a machine that has a mirrored drive
partitioned in md0 and md1, and a number of LVs in the one VG I put in
it. There are some problems left, however:

* In my systems, I have some directories (mount points!) which are not
  FHS conformant.  These seem to get wiped out after the partitions are
  mounted. Running 'df' while installing the software says that these
  directories are not there, and in fact, they aren't. Maybe this is
  caused by unpacking base.tgz?

  How/where to best re-create them (they're mounted at this point)?

* GRUB does not get correctly installed. Trying to boot locally, GRUB
  says: "GRUB Loading stage1.5" ... "Error 15". I found this reference
  to that error message that indicates that I have to change the way
  GRUB is installed in this case:

  But I'm unsure about where to put this.

* Installation takes a LOOOOONNNNGGG time (about 1.5-2 hours), due to
  the fact that the aforementioned script, along with disk_setup,
  requires multiple runs through formatting the disks, and also
  re-creating the RAID(s) on every install. I'd like to speed this up,
  but don't quite know how.

  Is using this script recommended, or how far is disk_setup2 from
  completion?

Last, but not least, I'm unable to mail the author of that script
because his and my mail systems don't interact quite well. I'd really
like to talk to him, but I'll just dump the modifications to this list
when I'm done with it if I can't make contact.

TIA!

Best,
--Toni++