What does prepareapt do?

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Wed Jun 20 16:36:38 CEST 2007

Hi all!

I have a strange problem:

On one machine, I need a mixed config with Etch and Lenny.

So I thought I would create a hook

prepareapt.MYCLASS

which uses /etc/apt/apt.conf.d and /etc/apt/sources.list.d to

a) add a repository with lenny
b) define etch as my default installation

I tried that manually, i.e. put the two files in, ran apt-get update,
installed some packages using

apt-get install mypackage

as well as

apt-get install anotherpackage/testing

All fine.

Just when I use my hook to have these two extra files in /etc/apt the
installation will go through but I am unable to boot the install client
afterwards. So something is messed up by that extra apt config which
worked fine when applied manually.

As a workaround, I am thinking of moving that hook to

finish.MYCLASS
and just add an

apt-get update
apt-get install

command as part of that hook because it's indeed just one single package
which I need from lenny (testing) and not from etch (stable).

Nevertheless, I wonder what's going on.

Where can I find the tasks in the nfsroot?

find . -name prepareapt

does not find anything.

Regards,
Torsten