FAI for other distributions

Ingo Wichmann iw at linuxhotel.de
Fri Jul 13 09:44:35 CEST 2007

Jens Strohschnitter schrieb:
>>> we are looking for an automatical installation system, which is able to
>>> install different distributions (Gentoo, Suse, CentOs, ...).
>>>
>>> Has somebody experience in this direction using FAI?
>> I use it at linuxhotel to install training notebooks: opensuse, sles,
>> fedora, centos, debian, ubuntu

> do you use SuSE SLES working with LVM (logical-volumes) ? We need to
> install SuSE SLES10 via FAI, but using LVM with reiserfs as partitions.
> Do you have some docs about your autoinstallation with FAI/SuSE ?

No, I don't have docs ;-)

I did everything as fai-like as possible, but fai from debian-sarge missed
some features:
* For RPM based distros I skip "debconf", "prepareapt" and "instsoft"; and
  replace them with my own hooks.
* I skip "disk_config" and "mountdisks"; and replace it with my own hooks to
  be able to use any filesystem and to get lvm support

I can send you these scripts, but I guess it would be helpful if I'd explain
them too ... and they are for the debian-sarge version of fai. Maybe you
should pay a meeting for Henning, you and me. Then Henning can integrate the
missing pieces in fai and you learn how to use them ;-)

Ingo

--
Linuxhotel, Inh. Reinhard Wiesemann, StNr. 111/5324/0471, UStID DE 180305557
Antonienallee 1, 45279 Essen, Tel.: 0201 8536-600, http://www.linuxhotel.de