FAI for other distributions

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Thu Jul 12 23:04:16 CEST 2007

Ingo Wichmann wrote:
> [...]
>> Has somebody experience in this direction using FAI?
>
> I use it at linuxhotel to install training notebooks: opensuse, sles,
> fedora, centos, debian, ubuntu

And windows by integrating Unattended (I still have to test the patches
you sent me)...

And all the others you install via images, or really with "normal"
classes, package lists, and stuff?

I wonder, because until now, I only saw Holger's patches for
install_packages to get softupdate in Fedora/Redhat working.
They were not working for dirinstall, which I have a patch for, it's in
Subversion.

But still network install is not "just working", but needs a workaround:
I had to manually install some missing packages in the nfsroot to get it
going, and they might not be there because install_packages is still not
100% right.

Thomas' new changes to install_packages will probably fix these, too.

@Henning: this all sounds a bit complicated, but in fact we are only
some hours of work away to get all this right and fully integrated in
the mainline FAI.
When these initial issues(which are generic to installing everything
other than dpkg-based distributions) are fixed, adding new distributions
will be only a matter of adding one new line to install_packages to get
the right call for the right package manager, and knowing how to make
the minimal base image to place into the configspace in the basefiles
directory.

Henning