make-fai-nfsroot problem, "WARNING: These unknown packages are removed from the installation list"

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 3 18:40:34 CEST 2007

I am having a problem with make-fai-nfsroot. It is not installing several
programs to the nfsroot. Among them is grub which is kind of essential. :-)

I tweaked the /etc/fai/apt/sources.list file. But I know it points to a
valid etch mirror.

Here is what make-fai-nfsroot says:

# make-fai-nfsroot -v
[...]
Setting up fai-client (3.1.8) ...
Setting up fai-nfsroot (3.1.8) ...

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
WARNING: These unknown packages are removed from the installation list:
bootpc console
-common console-tools cvs dhcp3-client dialog discover dnsutils dosfstools
dump expect
 fai-nfsroot grub hdparm hwinfo iproute jove less lftp lilo lshw lvm2 mdadm
mdetect mo
dule-init-tools ntpdate parted pciutils portmap psmisc rdate reiserfsprogs
rsh-client
rsync smartmontools ssh subversion sysutils udev usbutils xfsdump xfsprogs
Adding additional packages to /usr/local/share/fai/nfsroot:

Couldn't stat source package list http://debian.mirrors.tds.net etch/main
Packages (/u
sr/local/share/fai/nfsroot/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.mirrors.tds.net_debian_dists_etch_
main_binary-amd64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
Couldn't stat source package list http://security.debian.org
etch/updates/main Package
s (/usr/local

--