FAI partitioning.

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Wed Jan 17 08:25:31 CET 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 17:55, Henning Sprang wrote:
> And, maybe a bit OT, and maybe I have just no enoughj knowledge about
> SW RAID, but when doing RAID, isn't it better to take the full disks
> and make the sw raid on them, then partition above the md devices
> instead of paritioning the raw device, and doing sw raid for single
> paritions (as it looks what you want to do here)?

Instinctively I'd do md raid on the whole disks, after all the
canonical "unit" for RAID is disks, so you don't have to worry about
syncing partition sectors manually.

OTOH md devices couldn't be partitioned until relatively recently, so md on
top of the partitioning is what I have on my own machines as a left-over
from when they were set up.  Also, many md Tutorials are probably written
that way still.

Also, my desktop (without hot swap hardware or robust disk controller) is
expected to crash on disk failure anyway, RAID is only so that I don't lose
data.  So I have swap as the first partition on both disks and the rest of
the disks for several RAID partitions.  That means that I have a partition
sector on hda and hdc anyway, so adding another layer of partitioning
inside the md doesn't necessarily make sense.

This is all pretty much intuition about what is a "sane" setup, tastes
differ on this, I'm sure.

cheers
-- vbi

--
to debug such lockups in the future you can do:
NOTE: dont use the keyboard in this mode for too long, it can lock up.